Sunday, January 4, 2009

A missionary's day

Okey, no pictures today. The battery of the camera is dead so Elder Dad showed me how to recharge it and so it is now plugged in !!
Life in the day of us Erie missionaries
up by 6:30 eat; shower; dress; get into car; pick up Kelly, our new convert (who says, hey, we are Erie 2nd ward, if we wanted to go to church at 9:00 we should be called Erie First ward) and got to church just a few minutes before 9.
  • Sacrament meeting til 10:10; Sunday School--we are subbing for the teachers who are taking a temple ready class-ages 13 and 14 (we have added 3 new kids and with two brothers in the class we now have some discussion ); next is Relief Society and today was the lesson on Personal Journals. I am excited about this as I am a lousy journal keeper and she gave us a challenge--we all love a challenge, right?; from there we went to missionary correlation meeting, then to Ward council and part of PEC. We then came home, got a bite to eat, and by 2:30 were on our way to Jamestown for the YSA break the fast and testimony meeting ; that was from 4:00-5:10, then we ate speghetti, salad, garlic bread and for dessert cake; then we had an hour meeting on the upcoming activity in Jamestown that will be 3 days--Fri, Sat, Sunday. That done we had another dessert, cinnamon rolls, grabbed a couple of those, used the restrooms and were on our way home. There was a light rain, along with lots of fog!! We hate fog!!!! We arrived at home safely, changed our clothes, made a couple of phone calls, jumped into our jammies and I am typing this and Elder is catching the weather report on the tv. We are to get snow during the night--hoorah!!
  • tomorrow is up by 6:30, eat, shower, get on missionary clothes, pop in a load of white clothes to wash, dry and put away, then off to our district meeting at the church from 10:00 to 11:30, then home, prepare lesson for FHE that night and some kind of refreshment. FHE at 7:00 lights out at 10:00 and on to the next exciting day
  • Kind of boring, I suppose, but it keeps us busy We try to squeeze in visits to inactives and call members that were not at church today. A new set of people come every Sunday and we are glad so see them, identify them, put them on the "list to call". We have activateed 10 since we arrived in October and we are excited. Our ward challenge is to baptize 20 families in 2009 pray we will reach that!!
  • Oh, by the way, if any of you want to help us out, we can use some FHE resource manuals. The ward really can't afford them, so if you want to help,order a couple from SL and have them sent to us. Our ward goals are:
  • personal and family prayer
  • Personal and family scripture (Elder Dad and I finished the BoM in the early part of Dec)
  • Family Home Evening
  • Church Attendance/ Sabbath Observance
  • Home and Visiting Teaching
  • Faithful Service in Church Callings
  • Tithing and other Offerings
  • If everyone does this, we will have a fuller church service and people who can accept callings in serving in our ward
  • If any of you are not doing one or more of these things, Moroni 10:32-33 says :Yea, come unto Christ and be perfected in Him"
  • Obviously these people are not doing these things or we would not have almost 300 inactives

WE both bore testimonies today--remember the 17th is my "reborn" day

We love and miss you all

Hope you are yours are all good!!

3 comments:

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I thought of you in sacrament meeting today mom. Every January my whole life you always bore your testimony. I've decided I'm going to always bear my testimony in January too mom. What an amazing example to your children to let them hear your testimony & feel of your amazing spirit & let them feel the Holy Ghost testify to their hearts. You've alwasy done that for me. I love you!

Ryan Nelson Family said...

Happy Birthday Mom! I'm so grateful you joined the church and raised at least one wonderful daughter :)

Stephanie said...

I found your blog from Kelli's. It's fun to hear about your life as missionaries. It sounds like you're very busy and doing good work! Enjoy! I know they all need you and appreciate your efforts.